And now, as I write this, the Freedom Caucus zealots are meeting with the Velveeta Raccoon to see if they can’t get rid of more of your Medicaid and pesky little things like:
- Outpatient care without a hospital admission, known as ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including counseling and psychotherapy
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices, which help people with injuries and disabilities to recover
- Laboratory services
- Preventive care, wellness services, and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care for children
The CBO has now released data showing that the Republican health care bill raises premiums for older, poor Americans by more than 750%. The American Health Care Act would make a low-income 64-year-old in the individual market pay more than half his income for health insurance.
The long and short of all this is that the Republican-backed American Health Care Act would be totally devastating to older Americans who rely on the individual market for insurance, and pretty much everyone else.